Well this is the triumph in my most recent fabric shopping trip. Compared to the painting there is alot less coral color and more green acanthus. Though the background shade is perfectly right, the green is just glorious and the coral is really pretty, though it shows in a stripped coral color effect compared to the vining in the painting. Best part it was under 10.00 a yard, I found it locally, and had to pay no shipping.
I need to get to the Barn and Fabric center more often, though that is a double edges sword. Its very tempting and don't want to spend more than my small bit of personal spending money on just one bit of fabric. Which is very easy to do with, damask, brocade, and heavy decorator fabrics for costumes since they take a decent amount of yardage to create. This is why I mention curtain fabric more often, since its perfectly cut two panels will make a gown just right for my size. Though I may need to buy a third panel or complimentary color of fabric for Tudor hanging sleeves.
I had asked for some input through the Elizabethan Costuimg group on Facebook. At first I wanted to find a fabric close in green and blye and paint the more coral color in. Though very period technique to make fabric decoration, I didn't want it to effect the fabric negitively. Painting fabric can cause drape issues, possibilty of fade of paint over time, running of color, and other issues. Though I have a plan, I will do nothing!
This fabric really has grown on me in the way it is and I think represents the painting without copying it verbatum. So the gown is inspired by the painting but not a complete copy, besides its nice having your own Tudoresque twist on things.
I am changing something else from the original painting, to bring out the much smaller amount of coral in this fabric. Devised a plan to make the underskirt, foresleeves, and French hood all in coral velvet or silk fabric. Non pattern fabric to really punch up the soft pink color color in this gown. I am considering using some of the velvet or silk from the underskirt, on the neckline and on the sides of the open skirt as a trim, thinking of some gold braid with pearl work to add some interest.
I like the ouches and pearl neckline with matching jewel suite, though I am not sure if this is something I am going to use in my version. I do plan on using black velvet ribbon on the edges of the foresleeve as seen in the original.
So that is the news on the Tudor garb front. I would like the have this done by the end of June, though I have alot of overtime coming up and having trouble finishing projects already in progress. So this my not be ready by AE Academy June 29th. Though I have my other Teal tudor ready for a propery debut, so all is good.
I am above 17,500 page views since starting my blog in 2010 when I started this blog and at the end of this summer I should be approaching my 200th post. I wanted to thank my 14 follower and invite those interested in costuming to come and stay a while. There are so many topics to talk about and I look forward to posting more interesting and educational information well into the future.
Until Next Time,