Monday, July 8, 2013

AE Academy

Well other than gushing over my Sycamore Scroll, I did alot for AE Academy. I put up my doll castle for display, which barely fits in the backseat of the car. Its magnificents is too much for my little car to contain I suppose ;-)

 Had to get to the Academy site at opening time to get it and the playroom set up. Which took sometime, then trolled in. Though the castle displayed nicely and such, was able to get it back to my front bedroom all by myself at home though, its easier with two people.

A&S Display at Aethelmearc Academy
Managed to get dressed and wondering why my waist is being trudgy in this weather, which is my summertime specialty. I managed to get in my gown and looked most amply put to place, which was  challenge with sweating so much. 

I started the day with my Elizabethan jewelry course attened by 8 lovely persons. The class is inspired by the Cheapside Hoard now displayed at the British Museum in London. Gave a full color handout showing detail of pieces from the archeological at 1015am. I also explainded looking for similar motifs in costume jewerly as in the pictures.  Explained the benefits of mixing matching, price points of replicas vs costume jewels. Shared my entire jewel collection to show my adaptions in late period jewelry. It was very warmly recepted and got lovely compliments about it all day.

Tudor Doll Castle at Aethelmearc Academy
I was so happy folks liked it and was suggested to do a make and take class to make a set of earrings and necklace. Which I am thinking of a English Hood class and the make and take for Fabric Fiber and Fighting for the fall. I will schedule playtime around those courses, depending on my decisions to teach.

 My afternoon course was well attended by 6 and lots of good questions. I had detailed images of the children at play painting done by Brugel. I want to find more on the political significance of  this painting to beef the content more. It just became an image search and discussion on the games shown really. Folks were kind about the class but I know I can do better.  Plan on changing a few things to get things a bit more interesting. Its a good topic and the pics were really good but needs more beef in the reasearch.
Abhainn Ciach Ghlais Shrine 
 

The food was superb as usual, the weather was warm the warcollege broke a new attendence record, you could tell how touched the organzers were with the turnout. I know the organizer of the Academy classes was happy with the wide range of courses for folks to try, which I was happy with the selection as well. Got to attend the heraldic fan class and the Henry VIII valentine course, both excellent! Was able to get handouts on the others I missed due to confict with my teaching, but its all good.  I wished there was A/C in the venue, it would have helped cut some of the humidity.

I was able to get time to shop, though I really didn't need to buy anything. Bought a book on English Royalty, a netted cault to add to an Elizabethan hat, some decorated pins and earrings. I saw my lovely needlecase full of needles, though I didnt need to get those. These items were to be sold and given to the Royalty for their travel expenses. So my $17 goes to a good cause, will show how the hat looks now in a future post. I plan on wearing it to FFF with my black Elizabethan with Erimine puff sleeves, should be epic.

Teal Tudor Gown
 

During court I was called up for thanks with my many efforts and escapades with the shire children in keeping them entertained.Their Royal Highnesses I know appreciate my efforts, wish I had something more organzied for the day but teaching consumed alot of my time. I did oversee some games and provided the playroom, didn't get used but was still there. Though folks told me the effort and space was thought out and that makes a difference. It is very nice to be appreciated {-D

I have a few pictures from AEcademy these were taken by Lady Livia Valenti, thank you for these.
The last one is an Lewisburg Arts but this is typical me, Tudor rose purse and all. This the wonderful Teal Tudor gown. Will be making another unique compliation soon. I thought you would find picture amusing. Speaking of the Tudor Rose purse, I have gotten more complinents over my creative use of craft felt, than any single piece of garb created. On that note time to get back to sewing I am currently in the midst of garb creation, pics forth coming.

Regards

Lady Mairin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Tudor Q and A

What is a Tudorosity?

A mashed combination of the words Tudor and Curiosity to create the word Tudorosity. Tudorosities is the plural form and the deffinition is as follows.

Tudorosity- an desire to learn or know anything about the Tudor dynasty associated with years 1405 through 1603.

Most people ask my why I make the Tudor garb ?

I find the clothing of this era not only beautiful but also challenging to sew. There is much more care and purpose put into making garments and wearing garments in the Tudor Era. I love the look of Tudor so much I wanted to explore the way clothes were made back then and the subtle changes in fashion and styles of time.

How did you get started in this interesting hobby?

I started with art first, I love to draw, paint, and sculpt all the traditional fine arts. So being able to draw helps me visualize the looks I want to create in my garb. History has always been a huge interest of mine and I've had a knack for sewing since I was 7 years old. It all started with doll clothes and I learned cross stitch embroidery from my grandmother when I was little. I am self taught sewer, crochet, knitting, embroidery and tatting. My methods are learned from books mainly and there is still so much more to learn.

What is my favorite outfit and why?

It would be like picking a favorite out of one of my future children, its impossible. I love all my gown creations and really like the distinct differences in all the styles clothing I make for the Tudor Era.

Do you make the whole outfit including hat, shoes, and undergarments?

I do have a goal of making a complete Tudor from the skin out. As of right now I make 90% of my gowns and accessories. The shoes and stockings, are bought online and the petticoats are a close reproduction but not made by me. .

How long does it take to make a gown?

It all depends on the type of gown. The making relies on the time period and class of the design. Generally if I work on it 8 hours a day on a sewing machine it will take 3 days to get the basics and another 5 days to do finish hand-sewing details and beading. So a week to a week and a half if working on it steady for that amount of time. I work a full-time job so it does take longer than a week to complete. I put over 40-100 hours per outfit depending on its complexity, its like its own full time job of sorts.

Do you make renaissance clothing for sale or custom orders?

No, due to new employment and changes in my lifestyle. Unfortunately, I have no time to support sewing for others. Though I recommend sewing lessons for those adventurous few. There are many fine folks who make and sell historical clothing. I suggest guidance with sew from many fine historical enthusiastic costumers out on the internet.

How long have you been making these elaborate costumes?

I have been in the Society of Creative Anachronism coming up on my 18th year. Active since 2004 working at demonstrations and volunteering when I could between working and other life's distractions. I really concentrated on Tudor sewing in 2007 and worked with patterns to learn proper fabrics, techniques, fit, and silhouette. I really enjoy the eras transition from a medieval form fitting layered cotterdie to the boned Tudor kirtle and then to structured Elizabethan clothing.

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll
Based on art by Giovanni Ambrogio

O’Kealy Heraldry

O’Kealy Heraldry