Thursday, August 27, 2020

Plants, Plans and Projects


My plants are living their best life in the new bathroom. Not the original intention of the remodel but the room was a screen in porch.  My philodendrons are just so pleased to be in a sunny window and watered once a week. I stretched the girls legs to see what length we have. They are very long and some of the leaves are enormous. So hoping they continue to put out leaves and all the happy things indoor plants do. 

 The snake plants also seem content in this room too although on the counter and not close to the window they aren't complaining. Seem to be taking the darker light well and darkening up their color a little. I do keep them drier than the philodendrons and the pothos who love their water and light consistently. Have taken to misting the between the watering to give some humidity which is not always as abundant in an air conditioned environment.  My bathroom remind me of a spa with the plants. Well guess it should be an oasis. 

The outdoor potted herbs seem to be keeping up as well as one can. This summer they were manually watered by me ever few days. So the rain is very scattered This year and hot humid as it’s is normally. They are a bit dry and aren’t as lush as one would prefer. Well they are keeping the bugs from the door well enough. Not getting any flies from the front door. Although a spider took up residence in the letter box, sent him away and put him on a herb plant. Certain he wasn’t happy with the eviction but not worth a spider bite. 

 Back on the Dastardly Doll project, still wood carving the head. On Tuesday smoothed out the jawline and cheek bones and eliminated some of the neck area made ears and a small start of a flat nose.  The next day did some more but used my courser files to start rounding out the jawline and form a chin. I eliminated the nose and will make separate one and attach it later. Rounded portions for the tops and back of the skull will be made to give proper proportion.  Still have to make eyes and lips. I am going to be making much slower progress as these require more delicate work. When it comes to the wood carving I feel I am in the home stretch. After all the shaping, glue the nose and rounded parts of the head.  A good sanding all over and some paint are in order.  So keep it here for updates and pictures.

In the mean time, I have found a doll image I greatly enjoy. I want to replicate the doll in this portrait in real life replica. Planning on using one of the dolls head and hands from my recently purchased kit from Tudor Tailor. This doll's outfit in the portrait has brighter colors and nice features as compared to some others. It is a portrait, I was having difficulty sourcing the original painting. Prior I was finding only a black and white image (see right). This portrait is from a private collection, the main subject is Herzogin Marie von Sachsen als Kind, a young noble child as painted about 2 years old.   This is a portrait from 1564 by Lucas Cranach the Younger.

 The last time this image was published in print was in Mark, H & Mossinger I -ed (2005).  Hoping you enjoy the detailed image, as much as I do. This image is from the blog of Vita Soyka and linked to the blog. I have a color source but since it has not been in a book, out of respect for the private collection it is held, I will not show it here. Although I can describe it! the under dress is a gold silk edged in a crimson trim and the outer gown is a red silk edged in gold. She has gold chains around her neck and hair. This doll also has neck ruff and cuffs that seem very transparent, possibly silk organza. Its perfect detail.  

So that is what is new with me; working on, planning new dolls, and keeping up with the plants. Exciting times in the time of Covid-19. Keep sane and safe, see you soon.

Marrin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Tudor Q and A

What is a Tudorosity?

A mashed combination of the words Tudor and Curiosity to create the word Tudorosity. Tudorosities is the plural form and the deffinition is as follows.

Tudorosity- an desire to learn or know anything about the Tudor dynasty associated with years 1405 through 1603.

Most people ask my why I make the Tudor garb ?

I find the clothing of this era not only beautiful but also challenging to sew. There is much more care and purpose put into making garments and wearing garments in the Tudor Era. I love the look of Tudor so much I wanted to explore the way clothes were made back then and the subtle changes in fashion and styles of time.

How did you get started in this interesting hobby?

I started with art first, I love to draw, paint, and sculpt all the traditional fine arts. So being able to draw helps me visualize the looks I want to create in my garb. History has always been a huge interest of mine and I've had a knack for sewing since I was 7 years old. It all started with doll clothes and I learned cross stitch embroidery from my grandmother when I was little. I am self taught sewer, crochet, knitting, embroidery and tatting. My methods are learned from books mainly and there is still so much more to learn.

What is my favorite outfit and why?

It would be like picking a favorite out of one of my future children, its impossible. I love all my gown creations and really like the distinct differences in all the styles clothing I make for the Tudor Era.

Do you make the whole outfit including hat, shoes, and undergarments?

I do have a goal of making a complete Tudor from the skin out. As of right now I make 90% of my gowns and accessories. The shoes and stockings, are bought online and the petticoats are a close reproduction but not made by me. .

How long does it take to make a gown?

It all depends on the type of gown. The making relies on the time period and class of the design. Generally if I work on it 8 hours a day on a sewing machine it will take 3 days to get the basics and another 5 days to do finish hand-sewing details and beading. So a week to a week and a half if working on it steady for that amount of time. I work a full-time job so it does take longer than a week to complete. I put over 40-100 hours per outfit depending on its complexity, its like its own full time job of sorts.

Do you make renaissance clothing for sale or custom orders?

No, due to new employment and changes in my lifestyle. Unfortunately, I have no time to support sewing for others. Though I recommend sewing lessons for those adventurous few. There are many fine folks who make and sell historical clothing. I suggest guidance with sew from many fine historical enthusiastic costumers out on the internet.

How long have you been making these elaborate costumes?

I have been in the Society of Creative Anachronism coming up on my 18th year. Active since 2004 working at demonstrations and volunteering when I could between working and other life's distractions. I really concentrated on Tudor sewing in 2007 and worked with patterns to learn proper fabrics, techniques, fit, and silhouette. I really enjoy the eras transition from a medieval form fitting layered cotterdie to the boned Tudor kirtle and then to structured Elizabethan clothing.

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll
Based on art by Giovanni Ambrogio

O’Kealy Heraldry

O’Kealy Heraldry