Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Ceremonial Superstition


Feeling a little like mission impossible, your mission if you choose to accept it... find a tailored dress in less than 3 months time for a civil ceremony at the county courthouse... this message will self destruct in.. JK.  Since it’s unlikely I am going to lose a substantial amount of weight in a few months. Decided to go dress shopping with my youngest sister to allow the maximum time to find something and have it altered to fit. While still having my pandemic pounds still on, looking for a nice ceremony dress. Didn’t want to show up in a casual dress but didn’t want to go formal either. A civil ceremony should have a small flair of propriety but not on a formal church scale.

 Well at this stage of the game, I am not a traditional bride by most definitions. I am not going for the super light colored ball gown goodness as society seems to dictate. So here are my parameters, I want something for late fall winter that is Not white/ivory. I prefer a vintage feel in the styling and accessories, something couture is not out of the possibilities. Colors: silver, gold, champagne, nude, rose gold, green, red/ pink. Subtle beading, sequins, and floral touches are a must. I love having some color to enjoy and want to be comfortable and confident in what I am wearing. The two options that came mind were;  a knee-length 50’s style fitted dress w/ hat/veil. It’s not technically formal but with their fit from the time period it’s more formal than today’s standards. Budget is under $1k. Thankful that steady employment allows this and its been harrowing for many on the job front.

The next was a long column style dress no train, with pleated draped to accentuate the curves and hide a little tummy. I was thinking depending on accessories/ hairstyle. It could look either  40’s, 30’s or possibly 20’s inspired. Either way I wanted something with a sleeve. So many strapless dresses, I did try a strapless style but just doesn't fit the season. Most things at the shop that had a sleeve seemed to be more a matronly style. To be honest I don't want to be running around loads of skin exposed, its fall/winter its cold and especially for one who catches cold easily.

 Turns out for sizing I am floating between a 12-14, which is bigger than I like to be. I do hope to just tone a bit between now and the big day. I normally a 10/12 in the winter heavier weight or 8-10 in the summer thinner weight.  Being sedentary for months unmotivated by personal grief and a once in a century pandemic didn’t help. Just going to accept this for what it is at this point.

 Of all my years of making clothing, especially dresses. I will go over some interesting facts. It’s supposedly bad luck to make your own wedding dress, something about being presumptuous. Although someone can make one for you. Also some superstitions about touching or wearing a wedding dress before you are a bride is bad luck. Many of these scenarios seemed to be social convention around a church style wedding, with its ceremony and the like. Although we can all thank Queen Victoria for the white wedding dress situation (serious side eye). Thank you for making a color not suited to many, popular for centuries. Prior to this bridal trend blue or gold were popular wedding dress colors among royalty.  I am avoiding blue in winter due to not wanting to look like an Ice Queen.

 So to my readers, I am giving you a peak at the dress and shoes. The dress color says Latte, which its a golden taupe with floral beading at the waist and pleated draped detail that is very figure flattering. Definitely feel like a goddess in this dress, hold my self much taller, it has a full coverage back with some net. So warm and covered but the focus is on the figure.  The only drawbacks; wish it was a shade pinker but not a deal breaker, and that it had a sleeve of some sort.  Currently, I am working out the hairstyle and decoration. Since there are not any sleeves on this dress and it will be colder time of year. The dress just needed taken in at the shoulders didn’t even needed hemmed. Fits well and goes well with my shape and coloring. Plus this dress is under 1/2 of my budget. I had left over to find a coordinating wrap/cape in green velvet embroidered in gold and silver. With the cape it gives some green that I wanted to punch. I didn’t want to spend a lot on a dress, I’d wear a few times.  It looks much better on me than the hanger. 

 I must say it’s lovely to have something to look forward to in 2020, even though unexpected. Best things in life are rarely planned. Now to get the jeweler to finish their part in a timely manner. I'd like my engagement ring back please, its been 1.5 months already.  All this hurry up and wait, the theme of 2020. 

I have patience for many things, even that is not infinite.

Maureen 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Tudor Q and A

What is a Tudorosity?

A mashed combination of the words Tudor and Curiosity to create the word Tudorosity. Tudorosities is the plural form and the deffinition is as follows.

Tudorosity- an desire to learn or know anything about the Tudor dynasty associated with years 1405 through 1603.

Most people ask my why I make the Tudor garb ?

I find the clothing of this era not only beautiful but also challenging to sew. There is much more care and purpose put into making garments and wearing garments in the Tudor Era. I love the look of Tudor so much I wanted to explore the way clothes were made back then and the subtle changes in fashion and styles of time.

How did you get started in this interesting hobby?

I started with art first, I love to draw, paint, and sculpt all the traditional fine arts. So being able to draw helps me visualize the looks I want to create in my garb. History has always been a huge interest of mine and I've had a knack for sewing since I was 7 years old. It all started with doll clothes and I learned cross stitch embroidery from my grandmother when I was little. I am self taught sewer, crochet, knitting, embroidery and tatting. My methods are learned from books mainly and there is still so much more to learn.

What is my favorite outfit and why?

It would be like picking a favorite out of one of my future children, its impossible. I love all my gown creations and really like the distinct differences in all the styles clothing I make for the Tudor Era.

Do you make the whole outfit including hat, shoes, and undergarments?

I do have a goal of making a complete Tudor from the skin out. As of right now I make 90% of my gowns and accessories. The shoes and stockings, are bought online and the petticoats are a close reproduction but not made by me. .

How long does it take to make a gown?

It all depends on the type of gown. The making relies on the time period and class of the design. Generally if I work on it 8 hours a day on a sewing machine it will take 3 days to get the basics and another 5 days to do finish hand-sewing details and beading. So a week to a week and a half if working on it steady for that amount of time. I work a full-time job so it does take longer than a week to complete. I put over 40-100 hours per outfit depending on its complexity, its like its own full time job of sorts.

Do you make renaissance clothing for sale or custom orders?

No, due to new employment and changes in my lifestyle. Unfortunately, I have no time to support sewing for others. Though I recommend sewing lessons for those adventurous few. There are many fine folks who make and sell historical clothing. I suggest guidance with sew from many fine historical enthusiastic costumers out on the internet.

How long have you been making these elaborate costumes?

I have been in the Society of Creative Anachronism coming up on my 18th year. Active since 2004 working at demonstrations and volunteering when I could between working and other life's distractions. I really concentrated on Tudor sewing in 2007 and worked with patterns to learn proper fabrics, techniques, fit, and silhouette. I really enjoy the eras transition from a medieval form fitting layered cotterdie to the boned Tudor kirtle and then to structured Elizabethan clothing.

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll
Based on art by Giovanni Ambrogio

O’Kealy Heraldry

O’Kealy Heraldry