Saturday, January 27, 2024

Kingdom 12th Night

Well it was a busy AEthelmearc Kingdom 12th Night. I assisted with Magnifica Fede Di Fiore’s elevation to the order of the Laurel. Was wonderful to see her in all her magnificence, looked radiant on this big day. It definitely has all the feels of almost getting married to the SCA, As you are making vows and promises. Was great to be able to fill in gaps in the vigil schedule of the other folks running the elevation. I was even able to get some sewing done on my red velvet gown.

I had debuted a new gown and tested it see how gown wore for the day over my stays. I do have some tweaks to get the fit in the bodice a bit better. Although not bad for a first run. Am working on other gowns as well from this same pattern.  There were several Sca merchants at this event, and was able to pick up Silk Saris. Which will help me trim, several silk kirtles and make stomachers and coordinating sleeves for each. Very excited to see how those turn out. In full force garb making mode.

Inspiration for velvet gown

 For myself, I was installed as the Deputy Minister of Arts and Sciences. My boss being THL Rue, took our oath and received our baldrics of office. I have a lot more paperwork that I need to work on for this position. Along with familiarizing myself with other materials.

In the meantime, I have secured a new costuming book. The Cut of Women’s Clothes, 1600-1930 by Nora Waugh. This is a book that I’ve been meaning to get for quite some time. I also have a couple other ones that I’ve gotten off my Amazon book list. And to be honest, it’s about all that I use Amazon for is getting costuming books and some minor sewing supplies. 

My bedroom bookshelf is a combination of Pattern books for Renaissance clothing, books about Dolls, books about Automatons, books about the History of Fabric, and books on important royals during the Renaissance period. I have also been working on a more period inspired jewelry, been looking at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Replica jewelry. So placed several orders with Armor and Castings for replica pieces that they make. And are keeping those in dedicated jewelry boxes. The more inexpensive costume jewelry has been relegated to a different box. Those costume pieces have been very useful with doll, so that is what will happen with the remainder of the costume jewelry that I have on hand.

Better get back to it,

Mairin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Tudor Q and A

What is a Tudorosity?

A mashed combination of the words Tudor and Curiosity to create the word Tudorosity. Tudorosities is the plural form and the deffinition is as follows.

Tudorosity- an desire to learn or know anything about the Tudor dynasty associated with years 1405 through 1603.

Most people ask my why I make the Tudor garb ?

I find the clothing of this era not only beautiful but also challenging to sew. There is much more care and purpose put into making garments and wearing garments in the Tudor Era. I love the look of Tudor so much I wanted to explore the way clothes were made back then and the subtle changes in fashion and styles of time.

How did you get started in this interesting hobby?

I started with art first, I love to draw, paint, and sculpt all the traditional fine arts. So being able to draw helps me visualize the looks I want to create in my garb. History has always been a huge interest of mine and I've had a knack for sewing since I was 7 years old. It all started with doll clothes and I learned cross stitch embroidery from my grandmother when I was little. I am self taught sewer, crochet, knitting, embroidery and tatting. My methods are learned from books mainly and there is still so much more to learn.

What is my favorite outfit and why?

It would be like picking a favorite out of one of my future children, its impossible. I love all my gown creations and really like the distinct differences in all the styles clothing I make for the Tudor Era.

Do you make the whole outfit including hat, shoes, and undergarments?

I do have a goal of making a complete Tudor from the skin out. As of right now I make 90% of my gowns and accessories. The shoes and stockings, are bought online and the petticoats are a close reproduction but not made by me. .

How long does it take to make a gown?

It all depends on the type of gown. The making relies on the time period and class of the design. Generally if I work on it 8 hours a day on a sewing machine it will take 3 days to get the basics and another 5 days to do finish hand-sewing details and beading. So a week to a week and a half if working on it steady for that amount of time. I work a full-time job so it does take longer than a week to complete. I put over 40-100 hours per outfit depending on its complexity, its like its own full time job of sorts.

Do you make renaissance clothing for sale or custom orders?

No, due to new employment and changes in my lifestyle. Unfortunately, I have no time to support sewing for others. Though I recommend sewing lessons for those adventurous few. There are many fine folks who make and sell historical clothing. I suggest guidance with sew from many fine historical enthusiastic costumers out on the internet.

How long have you been making these elaborate costumes?

I have been in the Society of Creative Anachronism coming up on my 18th year. Active since 2004 working at demonstrations and volunteering when I could between working and other life's distractions. I really concentrated on Tudor sewing in 2007 and worked with patterns to learn proper fabrics, techniques, fit, and silhouette. I really enjoy the eras transition from a medieval form fitting layered cotterdie to the boned Tudor kirtle and then to structured Elizabethan clothing.

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll
Based on art by Giovanni Ambrogio

O’Kealy Heraldry

O’Kealy Heraldry