Friday, October 7, 2022

Forces of Nature

Despite the setbacks with family, with all the activity surrounding funerals over the past two months. I have been able to actually work on some dolls and complete them to boot. Art yet again proves to be soothing and comforting in many different ways.  

These two dolls are set for the court clothing of 1520; one is in the English style and the other is in the French style. Both styles became popular in the early 16th century in both English and French courts respectively and are synonymous with the period. Since there were differences in style of court dress, especially hoods/ hats will denote the political faction one supported during the time.  So these styles are more fun for us to replicate but in their time had more meaning to specific allegiances contemporarily.

I also themed the dolls in specific colorways based on the Sun or Moon. So the English doll is golden colors for the Sun. The French doll is following silver colors for the Moon. Which has been fun planning the faux fur usage for these, which has been a nice change from the dolls that are set later in the century. The theme was really fun to think about and plan the projects aroudn.  Additionally these dolls will have custom Unicorn companions that will accompany them. I ordered custom unicorn stuffed animals from Gift of Mercury, which makes custom poseable stuffed animals. I have a Peacocat that I ordered during the summer and it’s just the cutest. Sun and Moon I plan on having on my dresser. Although keeping my eye out for more doll cases for their storage. 

Winter gowns could be entirely lined in fur during the period since there was not any central heating for buildings. All heating was done by the fireplace, in larger homes, a fireplace was in each room. Also, the climate varied as there was a mini ice age in the 16th century that also kept England cooler than it is in modern times. So garments worn in layers protected the wearer from the elements, as well as being fashionable. Textiles were very pricey during this time, so many layers also showed wealth in a conspicuous consumption sort of way. Also the garments could be made fine materials; like silk, wool, or linen along with other luxury materials available at this period.

Especially how the fibers were woven into particular trim, fabrics and other features would determine costs as well. Many weaves of certain fibers do not exist that were made in the period. I find it interesting we might have mechanized looms and easier ways of producing cloth. Although in the end variety of cloth has greatly changed as to what is produced over the centuries. 

Well that’s is the end of this rant of old versus new technology. 

Food for thought, 

Maureen  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Tudor Q and A

What is a Tudorosity?

A mashed combination of the words Tudor and Curiosity to create the word Tudorosity. Tudorosities is the plural form and the deffinition is as follows.

Tudorosity- an desire to learn or know anything about the Tudor dynasty associated with years 1405 through 1603.

Most people ask my why I make the Tudor garb ?

I find the clothing of this era not only beautiful but also challenging to sew. There is much more care and purpose put into making garments and wearing garments in the Tudor Era. I love the look of Tudor so much I wanted to explore the way clothes were made back then and the subtle changes in fashion and styles of time.

How did you get started in this interesting hobby?

I started with art first, I love to draw, paint, and sculpt all the traditional fine arts. So being able to draw helps me visualize the looks I want to create in my garb. History has always been a huge interest of mine and I've had a knack for sewing since I was 7 years old. It all started with doll clothes and I learned cross stitch embroidery from my grandmother when I was little. I am self taught sewer, crochet, knitting, embroidery and tatting. My methods are learned from books mainly and there is still so much more to learn.

What is my favorite outfit and why?

It would be like picking a favorite out of one of my future children, its impossible. I love all my gown creations and really like the distinct differences in all the styles clothing I make for the Tudor Era.

Do you make the whole outfit including hat, shoes, and undergarments?

I do have a goal of making a complete Tudor from the skin out. As of right now I make 90% of my gowns and accessories. The shoes and stockings, are bought online and the petticoats are a close reproduction but not made by me. .

How long does it take to make a gown?

It all depends on the type of gown. The making relies on the time period and class of the design. Generally if I work on it 8 hours a day on a sewing machine it will take 3 days to get the basics and another 5 days to do finish hand-sewing details and beading. So a week to a week and a half if working on it steady for that amount of time. I work a full-time job so it does take longer than a week to complete. I put over 40-100 hours per outfit depending on its complexity, its like its own full time job of sorts.

Do you make renaissance clothing for sale or custom orders?

No, due to new employment and changes in my lifestyle. Unfortunately, I have no time to support sewing for others. Though I recommend sewing lessons for those adventurous few. There are many fine folks who make and sell historical clothing. I suggest guidance with sew from many fine historical enthusiastic costumers out on the internet.

How long have you been making these elaborate costumes?

I have been in the Society of Creative Anachronism coming up on my 18th year. Active since 2004 working at demonstrations and volunteering when I could between working and other life's distractions. I really concentrated on Tudor sewing in 2007 and worked with patterns to learn proper fabrics, techniques, fit, and silhouette. I really enjoy the eras transition from a medieval form fitting layered cotterdie to the boned Tudor kirtle and then to structured Elizabethan clothing.

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll
Based on art by Giovanni Ambrogio

O’Kealy Heraldry

O’Kealy Heraldry