Sunday, May 17, 2015

War Practice

At War Practice, saw many friends that I have not seen in many months. Camped near my haushold and met many new friends. Displayed some embroidery in progress, my black and gold-worked coif, and silk English gabled headdress. Received many a compliment on my work and my garb, which was very humbling. For the 3.5 days I wore a brown woolen kirtle, and a grey woolen kirtle, and a light plaid kirtle with partlet, coif twice day and this gabled hood pictured the last day of War practice. Hope a kind gentle had taken photos of my garb. Always forget to get someone to take a photo with my phone. Was showing this to Albert of my recently modified gabled headdress and how it looks worn.

While I was at my D&D game on Sunday, I completed two more partlets one double sided one in velvet for winter. Using left over grosgrain for the ties from Leos surcoat. The other is the second silk organza partlet using silk edging techniques to see if I can produce a rolled edge as advised by a Laurel friend I just met. Though her name escapes me at the moment. I met so many people, old friends and new, this weekend it was dizzying. I am looking for a simple silk black-work edge pattern for my undresses to give then some zing. In case as in the picture they want to peep out, they will look less out of place. They fit so nice and keep me cooler, glad the work properly as a smock.

Still weaving white silk gown straps for skirt hooks and have to finger-loop ties for the second
partlet. So some small projects in progress for Pennsic and future garb. Was lucky to get some 12th century gore dresses for Pennsic. Will be comfortable for camp and can save the more period persona wear for other occasions. I also found a linen undress, two pairs of stripped socks, a veil, two sets late period sleeves in the garb swap. So a very lucky and frugal clothing finds.

Other purchases were a shepherds crook for fun. Though with walking at Pennsic and my back issues that flair up with extended walking, this will help me lean and stretch when needed. After all Marrin is a shepherdess raised in Ireland so this is part of her early life then. I am also able to do some directing of youth with it was also an idea. A shepherdess of youth, however finding a flock of larger stuffed animal sheep would be fun too. Might put them on pull along wheels for Pennsic if its dry, however going to have to keep the Scots away. Though that's exactly what the crook's purchase was for the use if needed. Keeping my sheep out of trouble and away from bad influences.

 I received the Mary had a little lamb reference, Mary Quite Contrary and Little Bo Peep already this weekend. As a fan of nursery rhymes and fairy tales, I have fun playing along.  All very amusing and interesting persona development. Speaking of Persona Development, had a consult and submitted a name change for my Persona. Since my original name didn't pass in 2009, there is more information on late period Anglicized Gaelic names. As researched for my later time, its changing from Mairin O'Cadhla to Marrin O'Kealy to more correct to my time and anglicized Gaelic for the time. So similar but will have to get used to the change in spelling.

The best highlight for me was apprenticing to Her Grace Mistress Illish O'Donovan after court with friends nearby to witness. A very special moment and so glad Their Majesties were able to squeeze time in for us to do this. I have a lovely green silk belt Her Grace made for me to be appropriate with my time periods I play. Its so pretty, just right for my persona, and very pleased with how it all turned out. Looking forward to intently learning, laughing often, and loving the work to be done.

Working on the pattern and drafts for my Pennsic Class, 16th century coif- Make and Take. No decoration all simple construction and techniques. Working on images and reference for the class and then the pattern the basic finished example and create a step by step with pictures. This is my idea to make it visual to show as well as explain. No one likes to take a class and then forget the learning later on, and delving through finding out where one left off. So trying to give info, contact information and pictures to follow to make it easier to replicate at home. So lots of work to be done.

Well back to another week of mundane work, looking forward to seeing what's in store.

Busy as a Bee,

Marrin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560's Venetian Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Replica 1560 French Fashion Doll

Tudor Q and A

What is a Tudorosity?

A mashed combination of the words Tudor and Curiosity to create the word Tudorosity. Tudorosities is the plural form and the deffinition is as follows.

Tudorosity- an desire to learn or know anything about the Tudor dynasty associated with years 1405 through 1603.

Most people ask my why I make the Tudor garb ?

I find the clothing of this era not only beautiful but also challenging to sew. There is much more care and purpose put into making garments and wearing garments in the Tudor Era. I love the look of Tudor so much I wanted to explore the way clothes were made back then and the subtle changes in fashion and styles of time.

How did you get started in this interesting hobby?

I started with art first, I love to draw, paint, and sculpt all the traditional fine arts. So being able to draw helps me visualize the looks I want to create in my garb. History has always been a huge interest of mine and I've had a knack for sewing since I was 7 years old. It all started with doll clothes and I learned cross stitch embroidery from my grandmother when I was little. I am self taught sewer, crochet, knitting, embroidery and tatting. My methods are learned from books mainly and there is still so much more to learn.

What is my favorite outfit and why?

It would be like picking a favorite out of one of my future children, its impossible. I love all my gown creations and really like the distinct differences in all the styles clothing I make for the Tudor Era.

Do you make the whole outfit including hat, shoes, and undergarments?

I do have a goal of making a complete Tudor from the skin out. As of right now I make 90% of my gowns and accessories. The shoes and stockings, are bought online and the petticoats are a close reproduction but not made by me. .

How long does it take to make a gown?

It all depends on the type of gown. The making relies on the time period and class of the design. Generally if I work on it 8 hours a day on a sewing machine it will take 3 days to get the basics and another 5 days to do finish hand-sewing details and beading. So a week to a week and a half if working on it steady for that amount of time. I work a full-time job so it does take longer than a week to complete. I put over 40-100 hours per outfit depending on its complexity, its like its own full time job of sorts.

Do you make renaissance clothing for sale or custom orders?

No, due to new employment and changes in my lifestyle. Unfortunately, I have no time to support sewing for others. Though I recommend sewing lessons for those adventurous few. There are many fine folks who make and sell historical clothing. I suggest guidance with sew from many fine historical enthusiastic costumers out on the internet.

How long have you been making these elaborate costumes?

I have been in the Society of Creative Anachronism coming up on my 18th year. Active since 2004 working at demonstrations and volunteering when I could between working and other life's distractions. I really concentrated on Tudor sewing in 2007 and worked with patterns to learn proper fabrics, techniques, fit, and silhouette. I really enjoy the eras transition from a medieval form fitting layered cotterdie to the boned Tudor kirtle and then to structured Elizabethan clothing.

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll

Replica 1490 Milan Italian Fashion Doll
Based on art by Giovanni Ambrogio

O’Kealy Heraldry

O’Kealy Heraldry